1. A new Chairman has been appointed to steer the affairs of the
Military Pensions Board. He is Commodore Sabiru Abayomi Lawal. Before
his appointment as the Chairman Military Pensions Board, Commodore Lawal
was the Director of Finance at the Defence Intelligence Agency.
2. Born on 13 July 1970 in Abeokuta, Ogun State, He attended St
Bernadettes’ Nursery and Primary School Abeokuta from 1974 to 1981.
Thereafter, he proceeded to Baptist Boys’ High School, Abeokuta
from 1981 to 1986 and Immaculate Heart Comprehensive High School
Lagos from 1987 to 1988.
3. He commenced his military career on 17 September 1989, as a member of
41 Regular Course at the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Kaduna. He was
commissioned into the Nigerian Navy in the year 1994 and was promoted to
his present rank of a Commodore on 17 September 2017.
4. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from the NDA,
Masters in Business Administration (Finance) from the University of
Lagos and Certificate in Public Financial Management in a Changing World
from the Prestigious Harvard Kennedy School of Executive Education, USA.
He is a member of the Institute of Cost and Management Accountant,
Institute of Chartered Economists of Nigeria, the Nigerian Institute of
Management and the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria.
5. Since he joined the military, he has held several appointments. Some
of which include Command Accounts & Budget Officer Headquarters Naval
Training Command in Lagos from July 2009 to March 2010, Deputy Commander
Central Pay Office Lagos from March 2010 to February 2012.
6. He has also worked as the Deputy Defence Adviser (Finance) at the
Permanent Mission of Nigeria to the UN in New York and Commander Nigeria
Navy Central Pay Office before he was appointment as the Director of
Finance at the Defence Intelligence Agency.
7. You are please requested to disseminate this information for the
general awareness of the public. Thank you for your usual support and
Public Relations Officer
Military Pensions Board
18 September 2020